Monday, 17 August 2009

Bushido Shuffle. Feature video



For a surprisingly long time I've been quietly tapping away on this samurai game. Its not something I've posted online or anything... it started out as an experiment, and I never intended it to be an actual game.

So what's the big idea? Well, my initial plan with Bushido Shuffle was to make a slightly more realistic sword fighting game. Samurai and slashemup games tend to originate from Japan, and as such the violence tends to be slightly detached from the action. By which I mean, everything can be blocked, and hitting someone with a sword will create a multicoloured flash!

In Bushido Shuffle, I wanted to give the feeling that you are fighting with a real sword. And not just any sword. A katana, the sharpest blade in the word. So, I applied FPS shooter concepts to the fighting genre. Characters use a hitbox system to calculate where a sword has hit them, and to generate damage (and dismemberment) accordingly. In easy terms, you can chop people's limbs off, mid fight.

Anyway, it's very early days. I have some of the fighting mechanics, and some of the movement/jumping stuff. Check out the video and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment