Monday 3 September 2018

Performance Cars and Exotics

So, after doing loads of dusty and dirty cars for Gaslands, I started really wanting to do some cleaner custom vehicles. Basically doing cars that look like they were built to drive in a death rally, as opposed to a soccer mom's estate car modified into a deathwagon. With that, I came up with 2 gangs - the Kyoto Daggers, and the Aces. The Kyoto Dagger drive high performance exotic cars, their focus is on speed, but their cars pack some serious ordinance too. The Aces drive classic american muscle cars, tricked out with rockets and chainguns. The Key thing I was trying to achieve with these models was a cleaner look - no rust, much less dirt and for them to kind of feel more like "real" racing cars - like something you might seen in Nascar, or Rally. With that in mind, I had a shot at printing up my own waterslide decals. I can't take credit for any of the imagery, it's just logos and brand icons pulled from image searches, I've simply scaled them down (super feckin' small) in Photoshop and printed to waterslide paper. Really pleased with how these turned out in the end, it totally inspired me to go off and do more stuff with Waterslides, which I'll totally post up another day! Anyway, here they are :)
So that's the Kyoto Daggers, After painting so many minis that are supposed to be cobbled from many different parts and made up of different colours, it was super liberating to work on 2 cars and really only have 1 main colour - Poison Green. With the Aces, I decided to throw a new technique into the mix, and so while they again have a super limited (red/black/white) colour pallete, I thought I'd also have a go at doing some masking, to get my stripes and lines super crisp. It's my first time masking, and I think (for cleanness) I would deffo use the blue masking tape next time. With these I used hobby Store papery masking tape, and while it worked, there was some soak through that needed tidying up, and it had a habit of trying to rough up the edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment